Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ulpan


On our first day of Ulpan classes, our teacher Nana had us do a really funny icebreaker where we had to say our name, where we are from, and a hobby all while chewing on a piece of ice. It was very entertaining, but also very cold- all I can say it is it definitely got my attention. Nana herself is able to keep my attention throughout most of her classes, because she is such an entertaining teacher. She exaggerates all her expressions, which is not only entertaining, but also helpful in trying to understand her when she speaks to us in Hebrew. She rarely speaks to us in English, to help us get more acclimated to Hebrew, and instead will act out words as she says them in Hebrew. This is usually really funny and why I love Ulpan. I also think it’s helping me a lot too though, although in order for me to really benefit from it I need to use it outside of class, so I have been trying to do so as I learn more words and grammar. One of my most difficult challenges with Hebrew is trying to pick up what people say on the street. It seems fast and I don’t feel like I have enough time to process, so it’s much easier for me to read at my own pace and think about the different words and sentence as a whole. Hopefully I will improve this skill as I gain more exposure to the language. 

me with my ulpan teacher Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment